~ because not all who wander are lost ~

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Begin Again


Hey there, everybody! So... it's been a while, I know. Welcome (back) to my blog, Wonders of a Wanderer (aka "Wonder Sofa Wanderer." LOL). 
Wonders: random thoughts or interesting ramblings poured out of my head and into a post. Feel free to comment and get a discussion going. Come with me as I explore the quirks and treasures and struggles of this crazy ride called life. 
Wanders: Sometimes I go on grand road trips or awesome vacations. But mostly, I've found amazing things between whatever here and there I'm at. Some days, my thoughts cover much more ground than my feet or bike tires.

I left off this 30-day photo challenge partway through two years ago. So much has changed -- especially me -- that I've decided to start over at Day 1. But feel free to explore older posts- I've sure learned a lot (and laughed a lot!) looking through them. I can't promise a post every day, but I can promise that things will happen. And it will all be better than okay. :)

Day 1: A Picture of Me with 15 Facts
(This isn't the best picture ever, but it's the most recent. I was sleepy, but hiking, at the time. :)


            1. I like to sing, I like to run, and I like to write (something that will become more obvious the longer you read my blog. lol).
            2. I love the dozens of baby plants growing in yogurt cups and egg cartons in my windowsills, watching them grow and change almost imperceptibly.
            3. I like to freeze things to save them for later (and my husband mocks me for it- especially tomato sauce in ice cube trays or any kind of bread/dessert).
            4. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I love it not only because of the instant community all around the world, but because of the strength and foundation it gives me to know that I can be better and live with my loved ones forever thanks to our loving Savior’s atonement. :)
            5. I don’t like the feeling of my fingertips just after I cut my nails. Or anything else that overloads my sensory system: milkshakes that are too sweet, sauce that is too salty, juice that is too strong, music/noise that is too loud, light that is too bright, water that is too cold, anything sudden that causes a rush of adrenaline that hurts in my fingertips… wow, this list makes me sound really picky and fragile. Don’t worry, I’ve learned to adapt to or tolerate pretty much all of the above (which may include putting in earbuds without actually turning on my iPod, watering down juice or soup, and wearing sunglasses everywhere… but hey, I’ll try pretty much anything food-wise. And when it comes to beautiful, delicious, or soulful things, I feel like this overactive sensory system of mine allows me to participate in life at a much deeper level. Even if it means I tear up and laugh out loud because the tree blossoms are so bright and cheerful and fresh that I can hardly bear it.)
            6. I can’t snap my fingers or swallow while looking up. Both are great things to attempt when my husband needs a laugh ;)
            7. I’ve read my scriptures in Spanish every night for almost a year and half. Twice now, I’ve randomly made friends with little old Hispanic ladies who spoke very little English and needed a ride home. (I wish my Major were as handy as this almost-Minor!)
            8. I have a hopeless addiction to Chex Muddy Buddies (or Reese’s Puffs, which have a strikingly similar taste!) and I LOVE Indian, Thai, and Mexican/South American food. (probably because vegetables abound and wheat is scarce on their menus, and the tastes are so rich and different…)
            9. I go crazy without “outside time” (school + cold dark Provo winter = tough!)
            10. My digestive system can’t handle wheat and does not approve of my eating large amounts of meat, milk, eggs, cheese, sweets, spicy/acidic food, or anything deep-fried. Good thing I love vegetables and rice. :)
            11. I like browsing garage sales and outdoorsy stores, but typical shopping just reminds me of how bewildering the world’s fashions are becoming, how little I understand about “style,” and I get overwhelmed by all the mass-produced non-necessities. And spending money is painful… which is why Warren often gets the groceries these days. ;)
            12. In spite of #11, I went shopping for clothes recently because I’m shrinking (no, really, I’m like an inch shorter and a dozen pounds lighter than when I graduated from high school). But it’s pretty much just muscle mass disappearing… hopefully now that I’m feeling better and have time and nice weather to run in I’ll take advantage of that. I like being in shape and feeling strong and capable, but it’s been a while since I had a race to train for or a job/hobby that was a workout in itself.)
13. As of the past few weeks, I can’t sleep in past 7:00 am. But I love mornings - the only downside is that I married a night owl. lol.
            14. I’ll admit it, even during Finals Week: I like school. Not counting “just for fun” classes like bowling, aerobics or guitar, my favorite classes at BYU have been: Intro to Geology, Religion and the Environment, Intro to Bio-Organic Chemistry, Intro to Spanish Literature, Conservation Biology, Scientific Writing, Intro to Soil Science, and Plant Physiology. Participating in the BYU Honors Program gives me an excuse to indulge my non-scientist side in art museums, plays, foreign films, and classical literature. I’ve earned mentored research credit in four of the seven departments in the College of Life Sciences, and more than a dozen professors know me by name. I’ll be going on my second Study Abroad trip this summer. But don’t get me wrong- I’m far from a perfect student. I’ve failed (or barely passed) tests and forgotten to turn in homework assignments and skipped class and ignored the textbook and put off papers until the night before they’re due. In fact, I should be studying for my Plant Physiology final right now… But I like to learn, and I’ve been blessed with a sharp mind and lots of great opportunities that make up for some of my shortcomings.
            15. I’m not the same person I was the last time I posted in this blog, and I’ve been having a hard time with that. This is the first step on a written journey to rediscover who I am and understand myself better.  ~ 

1 comment:

  1. I love your wanders, but I love your wonders even more. You're an amazing writer! We are all rough stones rolling-- getting a few bumps and bruises as our edges get knocked off. You're an amazing person. If you ever end up wandering your way down to your stomping grounds (Needles) we should get out and go on a hike together!

    ReplyDelete