~ because not all who wander are lost ~

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Song of an Amnesiac

A few years ago, I did a project on "Music Psychology." For one part, I researched several phenomena associated with music's miraculous power to transcend disability and heal people. This poem is written from the perspective of an acute amnesiac- a person who has no short-term memory retention and very little long-term. For reasons unknown, such people can sit down to a piano and play through a long-before memorized piece, coming back to themselves for a moment, but as soon as the music stops, they forget again.

Song of an Amnesiac

lost

trapped in a world with no meaning
drifting
through time

faces
so many strangers
know me
but i don't

i can't remember, who are you
what are we doing

why

and who am i...?

lost and alone


Then music- ah, the breath of life!
My fingers remember!
My voice knows the words!

The music brings me back
to this moment-
this past-
this "Me" inside.

I sing and rise up,
Whole again.
Found!

but then
the melody ends

i fade
with the notes

falling
into darkness

lost

who am i...?

No comments:

Post a Comment