~ because not all who wander are lost ~

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Day 12

A picture of something you love.


Yup, I love food. Cooking food, trying new foods, experimenting with recipes, arranging colorful & tasty meals, being creative with leftovers, sharing food with other people, and most of all eating food! Especially fresh fruits & veggies and hearty grains like brown rice or quinoa. The above picture is a tasty lunch from a few weeks ago: braised kale with sesame seeds, steamed short-grain brown rice, red grapes, and tacos filled with buttercrisp lettuce, refried beans, corn, salsa, spinach, and garden burger crumbles. Mmmmm!

New favorite tastes: Thai peanut sauce, pesto, curry, falafel. Growing up I was a bit turned off by such strong and unfamiliar flavors, but I have since grown to really love them. It helps that I recently gave up most meat, cheese, egg and dairy products and began exploring all kinds of other food options. I've even started enjoying mushrooms!

If I had to live off of just one "ethnicity" of food, it would be Mexican food. I grew up eating tamales, Spanish rice, corn and beans, tortilla soup, and chips & salsa thanks to my mom's Arizona childhood, and I love them!

Grossest thing I've ever eaten: fish sauce (I lost a dare. Shudder. Closest I've come to throwing up besides jumping out of a plane at 10,000 feet. )

Tastiest thing I've ever eaten: oh man, that's a hard one. I've had some really really good curries and pilafs and even casseroles in my day. Veggie fajitas are among my favorite foods. I've always been a sucker for soups & salads, and pasta makes a hearty base for all kinds of tasty dishes. It doesn't get much better than garden-fresh fruits and vegetables. And let's not even get started on desserts... ;)

But for all the adventuring and trying new things and enjoying bold tastes, I have to admit that tonight I just had PB&J on a pita and an apple for dinner. Sometimes I go hiking instead of cooking an actual meal:P

No comments:

Post a Comment